November 2, 1950
Ciphered telegram, Zakharov, Soviet Military Representative in Beijing, to Feng Xi [Stalin]
Second Main Administration of the General Staff of the Soviet Army
CIPHERED TELEGRAM No. 26416
Copies: Stalin (2), Molotov, Malenkov, Beria, Mikoyan, Kaganovich, Bulganin, Vasilevsky, Shtemenko, Lomov
From Beijing15 hours 30 minutes
TOP PRIORITY E
FENG XI [Stalin]
To No. 5228 of 2.11.50
I report: Through Colonel Petrachev, adviser to the Korean air force, I have obtained the following specific information:
1. By the first of November a regiment was formed using 26 Korean pilots that have been trained and 24 Yak-9 planes that are located in Andong.
2. On November 1 of this year, 8 planes of this regiment went into battle for the first time, in the region of ANJU. As a result of this flight 2 B-29 planes and a Mustang were downed. Two Yak-9's did not return from the battle.
The first report from comrade Belov to me about the loss of the two Yak-9 planes in a battle in the region of ANDONG-SINUIJU was thus imprecise.The losses relate to a battle in the region of ANJU.
3. In a battle on November 1 of this year, in the region of ANDONG-SINUIJU , two F-82 planes were downed by our pilots in MIG-15's and two planes were downed by anti-aircraft artillery. In all 4 planes [were downed].
We had no losses in the air battle.
4. MIG-15's of Comrade Belov flew from air bases at MUKDEN [SHENYANG] and ANSHAN. In all, 8 sorties were made from each airport.
5. At present there are 16 battle [as opposed to training] Yak-9's at the air base at ANDONG. In an attack on the Andong airport on 1 November 1950 one Yak-9 was burned and 3 were put out of action, but it is possible to restore them. In addition, 2 planes were lost while patrolling.
In all 22 planes and 2 planes did not return from the region of ANJU.
In addition to the Yak-9's there are:
a) 6 PO-2 planes, which are fully combat ready and are carrying out night missions. There are 14 pilots, and from the 15 PO-2 available, 5 planes crashed during landings and takeoffs at the airfield itself and 4 planes were lost while on missions.
b) 25 pilots for IL-10 planes, but up to now there are no planes for them.
6. The command of the mixed air division of Koreans in ANDONG has been formed. It is headed by General LI FART.
7. Comrade PETRACHEV asks about the possibility of receiving 25 Il-10 planes and 10 PO-2 planes.
Report: No. 5228 of 2.11.50 asked Comrade Zakharov about the fact that there are discrepancies between his report and Belov's report about the air battle in the region of Andong. He was ordered to elucidate this discrepancy and report about the participation of Korean planes in battles and about the fact that two of them did not return.
Telegram to Stalin reporting on the status--operational readiness and losses incurred--of North Korean air forces.
Associated People & Organizations
The History and Public Policy Program welcomes reuse of Digital Archive materials for research and educational purposes. Some documents may be subject to copyright, which is retained by the rights holders in accordance with US and international copyright laws. When possible, rights holders have been contacted for permission to reproduce their materials.
To enquire about this document's rights status or request permission for commercial use, please contact the History and Public Policy Program at [email protected].